I found this gem of a recipe this morning. Three things that I love about this recipe: the green pepper, the fact that it does not use prepared bottled barbecue sauce (it does use Campbell’s Tomato soup however), and the simplicity of the recipe. Anybody can whip this up and it sounds really good! As a matter of fact, I think I’ll make this tonight with some homemade French fries. Stay tuned for my review!
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 25 to 30 min
- 1/2 lb hamburger or ground chuck
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 slices regular bread soaked in 1/3 c milk, salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can Campbell’s tomato soup
- 4 tbsp flour
1. Mix hamburger, onion, green peppers and soaked bread in a bowl, save soup until later.
2. After mixing well, pat into oval burgers about 1/2 in thick, brown in oven proof skillet. When done, sprinkle in 4 tbsp flour and stir into the juices until the flour disappears.
3. Now mix the Campbell’s tomato soup with 1/2 can water. Pour this mixture over the browned and cooked burgers, stirring to mix well.
4. Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes until good and bubbly. The gravy is very good on mashed potatoes or a slice or buttered bread, fast, easy and very good.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings