Keeping with our “It’s too cold outside to fire up the grill” theme lately, I found a great recipe that’s great in the winter because you bake these delicious ribs in your oven. However, you can make this tasty recipe any time of the year!
What’s great about this recipe is the prep time is only 30 minutes and the cook time is 3 hours. So, there’s no need to slave over your smoker for 4, 6 or 8 hours.
I know I’ll get a lot of flack from barbecue purists out there. But for the folks who can’t get outside in the snow and smoke some ribs or if you don’t happen to have a smoker, baking ribs inside is a great alternative.
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 4 pounds pork spareribs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine onions, ketchup, water, salt, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and mustard. Split ribs down the center between the bones.
- Heat a large lightly oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Add ribs and sear until browned. This may have to be done in several batches.
- Place ribs in a single layer in two baking pans or casserole dishes. Pour half of the sauce over the ribs, reserve remainder.
- Bake ribs in preheated oven for 3 hours. Turn and baste meat every 30 minutes with remaining sauce, using all sauce by two hours. Continue turning and basting ribs using sauce in the pan during the last hour of baking.
4 to 8 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 684 | Total Fat: 41.1g | Cholesterol: 160mg